Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Overcoming Victim Mentality

When I was teaching at Holloway Prison, I had a lot of students who had bought into victim mentality. They blamed everybody but themselves for the fact that they were in prison. I had one student tell me she was a a thief because "god" had made her one. Another student told me that the only reason babies develop was to do with instinct - nothing to do with our determination to grow and thrive.

These are extreme views, but they indicate what can happen if we allow victim mentality to dwell within our minds and our consciousness.

To read more, see Overcoming Victim Mentality.


1 comment:

Patricia said...

While I can understand the behavior of the *victims* you mention may be suffering from the victim mentality, I believe that in many cases this is becoming the catch-all phrase. It's unfortunate, though, that so often the poor choices of many may have been nipped in the bud, so to speak, if someone had noticed and stepped in with guidance early enough to redirect these victims into victors.

Good article. Should stir some dialogue.